By law, the total minimum contribution percentage for auto enrolment pension schemes will be increasing.
The table below summarises the changes:
Minimum employer contribution
Total minimum contribution
|Present – 5th April 2019
|6th April 2019 onwards
What do you need to do?
- If you are client, where a4c runs the payroll on your behalf, then you don’t need to do anything as we will automatically update the payroll software so that the employee and employer contributions are adjusted.
- If you run your own payroll, or use a payroll outsourcing business then you will need to ensure that these contribution changes have been applied.
Is there anything else you need to do?
You may wish to inform your employees about these changes. We would recommend doing so in writing so that you have a communication audit trail.
- It is illegal to encourage employees to opt out or cease membership
- If you do not make the changes, or fail to pay across the correct contributions in the required timescale it could result in The Pensions Regulator taking regulatory action, which could include a fine.
- It remains your responsibility as the employer to check that this increase has been correctly applied to your workplace pension scheme and that your workforce is regularly assessed with all Eligible Jobholders included in the scheme.
Get in touch
As always, if you have any questions about your pension scheme, the details of this article or any other aspect of your business then please don’t hesitate to give us a call on
01737 652 852