The self assessment tax return deadline is looming on the horizon and in anticipation for a sea of late returns HMRC has published it’s top 10 oddest excuses for missing the 31st January deadline.
the list includes:
1. My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder)
2. I had a run-in with a cow (Midlands farmer)
3. After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else (London woman)
4. My wife won’t give me my mail (self-employed trader)
5. My husband told me the deadline was 31 March, and I believed him (Leicester hairdresser)
6. I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play (Coventry writer)
7. My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is (a working taxi driver)
8. I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land (South East man)
9. Our business doesn’t really do anything (Kent financial services firm)
10. I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns (London accountant)
not everyone is late though
If, like these individuals, you are late with your return then you risk receiving a £100 penalty. However it seems that not everyone leaves it to the last minute with just under 2000 people submitting their returns this year on Christmas Day.
144 of them were submitting their returns while you were tucking in to your Christmas lunch at 1pm!
For help with your personal or business accounting records give us a call on 01737 652 852.